Thursday, January 04, 2007

Convert WMA files to mp3 in 3 easy steps using iTunes!

A friend of mine asked me how to do this today, and I figured I'd share.

Convert WMA files to mp3 in 3 easy steps using iTunes!


I'm not in front of my computer right now (I'm at work, and they frown on iTunes), but if I remember correctly, this is how you do it:

1. Import the song like you normally do
you can go to file - add folder/file to library
This will add the file to your iTunes library as a WMA file, which iTunes handles just fine as long as it doesn't have any DRM (Digital Rights Management) on it. If it does have DRM, it will tell you or it will just fail to import it. If it's got DRM, then it is copyrighted, and I can't help you. I will also remind you that using any of the programs readily available on the Internet by searching google for something like "remove DRM WMA" is both illegal and immoral. It is also a violation of the DMCA, punishable by a prison term of up to 5 years and a fine of up to $500,000 per violation. Every time you make a copy of a song the terrorists win.

2. The default file format in iTunes to convert everything to is ACC. Since we want to change the WMA file to mp3, this is how we do it:
Go to advanced - importing
Change "import using" to mp3 (I usually use the higher quality - 192 kbps option here)

3. Go to your library and find the song you want to convert. Right click on it and select convert.


You will now have two copies of the song, the WMA version and the mp3. If you want to delete the WMA completely, I would listen to the mp3 first to make sure there were no errors.

Someone just pointed out to me that parts of this post are no longer accurate!
Now, if you have iTunes set to import using the mp3 filter, it will automatically ask you to convert a WMA file when you start to import it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you tell iTunes to import songs as mp3 before importing the WMA, it will do it on its own.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger michael said...

Yup,
You are correct. Did iTunes used to do that? I wrote this at work.
MD.

 
At 4:37 AM , Blogger Schmier said...

ITunes DRM protection sucks! I have been using the program to strip iTunes files now for 4-6 months and I’m very happy. This
SoundTaxi (http://www.soundtaxi.info/) is a major rip-off for them to try and sell me songs that get easily corrupted or lost in file format. I do not share the songs I convert, but this copy-protection junk is terrible and very frustrating :(

 
At 8:27 AM , Blogger michael said...

I would agree with schmier about DRM implementation as a less than optimal solution. I understand companies wanting to protect their assets, and I'm sure the RIAA/studios forced apple to have the DRM, but the implementation always leaves something to be desired.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home